Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Swigert
0% Sugar Free

Angry Verification Tool Stuck (Multiple Fixes Attempted)

I have tried many "fixes" in attempt to make my Verification Tool actually check DirectX.

System Information
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 5200+
2.61 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Graphic Drivers: NVIDEA GeForce 610
  • I have tried moving, copying, and entirely deleting orbiter.bin, renaming it as "orbiter.exe" and "orbiter.exe.bin".
  • I have tried renaming the actual ""orbiter.exe" file, renaming it "orbiterold.exe", and copying it as "orbiter.exe".
  • I have also tried installing different DirectX versions. So far, I have installed 9.0, 9.0c, 11.0, and 11.2
  • One night, I left my desktop running with the verification tool running. I had left it run from about 11:20 PM to 9:50 AM, to see that the tool had made no progress.
  • I have tried running the tool with and without other windows running, and with and without the tool having focus.

The beta crashes every time I try to launch a scenario, so I was wondering if it is possible that it could be Orbiter or C++, and not my computer, however, I doubt that.

I was reading other peoples' posts about the Verification Tool being stuck, and saw something about graphic drivers, so I updated mine, so I strongly doubt that it is the driver's fault.

I also saw something about the "testinstall.exe" in the Install folder, but in my installation, I have no such file. If it were required for a proper installation, I'm sure Step 1 of the verification would fail.

As well, I noticed something about "orbiter.cfg", but guess what; I don't have that file either, or if I do, I cannot find it. I came up empty handed in searches for it. All I found was the "Orbiter_NG.cfg". I would suppose this is required for a proper installation, so I'm sure I have it somewhere, I'm just not noticing it in my folder and the search.

I am completely stumped on my problem here. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I haven't played Orbiter in about 2 years now, and I really want it working on my desktop.
Swigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

I'm afraid I can't help you out much with the beta version of Orbiter. Have you tried the standard Orbiter '10 (P1)?

Orbiter_ng.exe is a "no graphics" version that uses external graphics clients that can result in some eye-popping visuals.

Another question, are you using the msi installer, or did you download and unzip?
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Swigert
0% Sugar Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 I'm afraid I can't help you out much with the beta version of Orbiter. Have you tried the standard Orbiter '10 (P1)?

Orbiter_ng.exe is a "no graphics" version that uses external graphics clients that can result in some eye-popping visuals.

Another question, are you using the msi installer, or did you download and unzip?
I think I used the .MSI, and I'm almost positive I installed 2010 P1. I just tried the beta for test purposes.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Also, while orbiter.cfg is indeed an important file, its absence isn't. Orbiter writes this file when it starts up, if it doesn't exist - since you can't start orbiter, it's not written yet.

I would echo PC - try the stable version first, and see if that's any better. I'm curious about the different directx versions you've installed, too - how did you obtain these, and where from?
Xyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Swigert
0% Sugar Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyon View Post
 Also, while orbiter.cfg is indeed an important file, its absence isn't. Orbiter writes this file when it starts up, if it doesn't exist - since you can't start orbiter, it's not written yet.

I would echo PC - try the stable version first, and see if that's any better. I'm curious about the different directx versions you've installed, too - how did you obtain these, and where from?
I got them from the Microsoft website...
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Hielor
Defender of Truth

I'm particularly curious how you managed to install DirectX 11 on XP, given that it's only available on Vista and higher...

Last edited by Hielor; 11-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Swigert
0% Sugar Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 I'm particularly curious how you managed to install DirectX 11 on XP, given that it's only available on Vista and higher..
Huh. Maybe I misread something or something...
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweigert View Post
 I think I used the .MSI...
Try the zip version then...
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Swigert
0% Sugar Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 Try the zip version then...
Already have, no luck.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
martins
Orbiter Founder

Here is what orbiter.exe does on a fresh installation:
  1. it checks the directory structure
  2. it checks the presence of the required runtimes
  3. it runs dxdiag to check required directx components
  4. it renames itself to install/testinstall.exe
  5. it renames install/orbiter.bin to ./orbiter.exe
When this hangs, it generally does so on step 3. I'm not sure why this should be. Possibly dxdiag is trying to make a network connection for authentication of components, and that times out (maybe a firewall issue?).

Anyway, you can bypass this problem by performing the last two steps manually (provided the verification didn't already flag up a problem in steps 1 and 2). Your description was not entirely clear on this, but I assume you did try this? What _exactly_ was the outcome?

If orbiter.exe doesn't run after you have copied and renamed it manually, the problem is not (only) the verification procedure. But until you provide a precise postmortem I can't help.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 Already have, no luck.
Can you post a screenshot of whatever issue you are seeing? It's hard to diagnose with the little information provided.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Swigert
0% Sugar Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Here is what orbiter.exe does on a fresh installation:
  1. it checks the directory structure
  2. it checks the presence of the required runtimes
  3. it runs dxdiag to check required directx components
  4. it renames itself to install/testinstall.exe
  5. it renames install/orbiter.bin to ./orbiter.exe
When this hangs, it generally does so on step 3. I'm not sure why this should be. Possibly dxdiag is trying to make a network connection for authentication of components, and that times out (maybe a firewall issue?).

Anyway, you can bypass this problem by performing the last two steps manually (provided the verification didn't already flag up a problem in steps 1 and 2). Your description was not entirely clear on this, but I assume you did try this? What _exactly_ was the outcome?

If orbiter.exe doesn't run after you have copied and renamed it manually, the problem is not (only) the verification procedure. But until you provide a precise postmortem I can't help.
Paragraph 1: I have had disabled my Firewall since I got the problem in the first place, so I strongly doubt it is the cause to my problem.

Paragraph 2: I did that just now. I'm not sure I did it how you're saying it should be done however. I named orbiter.exe to testinstall.exe and in the Install folder, orbiter.bin is now named orbiter.exe.bin and I copied orbiter.exe and moved it to the Install folder, renaming it as testinstall.exe. Is this correct? No change in the outcome afterwords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 Can you post a screenshot of whatever issue you are seeing? It's hard to diagnose with the little information provided.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Quote:
 Paragraph 2: I did that just now. I'm not sure I did it how you're saying it should be done however. I named orbiter.exe to testinstall.exe and in the Install folder, orbiter.bin is now named orbiter.exe.bin and I copied orbiter.exe and moved it to the Install folder, renaming it as testinstall.exe. Is this correct? No change in the outcome afterwords.
Wrong. The orbiter.bin file from Install shouldn't be copied/renamed to "orbiter.exe.bin", but to "orbiter.exe" and moved to the root directory of Orbiter (overwriting the original file).
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Swigert
0% Sugar Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
 Wrong. The orbiter.bin file from Install shouldn't be copied/renamed to "orbiter.exe.bin", but to "orbiter.exe" and moved to the root directory of Orbiter (overwriting the original file).
So I need to change the format of orbiter.bin to .exe? And overwright the original orbiter.exe? How will I launch Orbiter then?

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I converted it to .exe, but when I run it, all that happens is a CMD window comes up, for a quick second, closes, and that's it.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
meson800
Donator

On a clean (non-verified) install, what we call the normal "Orbiter" executable (what launches and actually lets you fly) resides at Install/orbiter.bin.

The executable located at ./orbiter.exe (again, in the non-verified version), is actually just the verifier; e.g. the program that hangs for you.

To get Orbiter to work, you must rename and move the file Install/orbiter.bin to ./orbiter.exe as martins said. Renaming orbiter.bin to orbiter.exe does not change its format, only its filename.

Quote:
And overwright the original orbiter.exe
By the above, the "original orbiter.exe" is actual just the verification tool. Actual "Orbiter" is the orbiter.bin file.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

If you are actually running Orbiter (my orbiter.exe is 2196 KB, is yours?) and it is crashing, it should produce a file named "Orbiter.log".

If that file is there, can you post its contents?

Last edited by meson800; 11-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.
meson800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help