Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #12691
Loru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJohnJennerLawso View Post
 No offence intended, but I would really like to see how that works .

I haven't studied GR a great deal yet, but I should be able to converse a bit more intelligently soon. I did have a conversation with my Physics prof, where he indicated that he thinks the future of space travel lies with the Albucierre drive. In light of the holes in that idea Ive heard of since, I will need to ask him in a bit more detail about its validity.
You know what gravity losses are right? Taking general relativity into acount it's moving away from positivelly curved space to flat space.

In case of warping technology moving away from negatively curved space (expanded/bloated) would give you additional net thrust away from it. Gravity gains.
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #12692
BruceJohnJennerLawso
Dread Lord of the Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loru View Post
 You know what gravity losses are right? Taking general relativity into acount it's moving away from positivelly curved space to flat space.

In case of warping technology moving away from negatively curved space (expanded/bloated) would give you additional net thrust away from it. Gravity gains.
Huh :scratchhead:

I have heard of gravity losses, but to me understanding physics means being able to do all the calculations, so I cant claim to really understand it just yet.

But just to sanity check the idea, if additional kinetic energy is being gained/lost, where is that energy coming from?

Last edited by BruceJohnJennerLawso; 09-06-2013 at 12:52 AM.
BruceJohnJennerLawso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #12693
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJohnJennerLawso View Post
 But just to sanity check the idea, if additional kinetic energy is being gained/lost, where is that energy coming from?
It is simply work done in the gravity field. When you move from a high gravity potential to a lower one, you gain energy (= you fall).

The Alcubierre drive now assumes that you simply have exotic matter with negative gravity.

But! Now the trick question: How much energy do you gain when you are not moving relative to the gravity field, like in the Alcubierre drive?

The fun really is: The spacecraft with the Alcubierre drive is not moving at all. Space moves for it and the spacecraft only needs a bit of velocity relative to space. When the Alcubierre drive is powered off, it would slow down to this initial speed again.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 09-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #12694
Athena
Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

I liked the warp effect from the 2009 Star Trek...don't know why they added blue trails that are left behind once the ship goes into warp. Not really bad but...i need an explaination.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #12695
mojoey
JapanAXA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
 I liked the warp effect from the 2009 Star Trek...don't know why they added blue trails that are left behind once the ship goes into warp. Not really bad but...i need an explaination.
Simple. Walter White had to escape ABQ after Hank told his friends at the DEA. So he used his meth money to buy a TARDIS from Henry Van Statten, then took Jesse to the year of the 'Trek movie, and hid away in the warp nacelles. Thus whenever the Enterprise warps, it blows all of his 'product' out the windows.

...duh
mojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #12696
Pipcard
mikusingularity

As I was playing Ace Combat 04, I noticed that the rocket being launched from the Comona Islands looked like the Ariane 5.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #12697
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 As I was playing Ace Combat 04, I noticed that the rocket being launched from the Comona Islands looked like the Ariane 5.
Oh wow, it does. I never thought twice about it.
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #12698
Izack
Non sequitur

Well, I'm all up-to-date on Attack on Titan now. Possibly one of the best series I've ever seen. Quite impressed.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #12699
thepenguin
Flying Penguin

Just realized how much is wrong with the built-in altitude autopilot.

Last edited by thepenguin; 09-06-2013 at 10:16 PM.
thepenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #12700
n122vu
Addon Developer

Back in the day I used to play flight sims with the old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro (version 1 - gameport interface). Yes, I bought the stick. Why? I was a flight sim noob, eager to get the best, and I bought John King's cheesy Flight Simulator 2000 pitch hook, line, and sinker.

"I'm all fixed up with the 'ultimate joystick'....."

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Last edited by n122vu; 09-07-2013 at 02:16 AM.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #12701
Fabri91
Donator

Meigs Field...
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #12702
Scav
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 Meigs Field...
I saw that very airfield the year before it was scuttled. Early morning; vantage point was the Chicago Skyway, on my way through Gary, IN for a weeklong convention in Ohio. It was inspiring.
Scav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #12703
Spacethingy
Multitasker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 Meigs Field...
That was my childhood flightsim airport... I grew up with that airport, how COULD they do this to me?!

(Although when I got Flight Unlimited III I switched allegiances to SeaTac Interntional... )
Spacethingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #12704
N_Molson
Addon Developer

N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #12705
Loru

Loru is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags