Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Hardware & Software Help Hardware & Software related questions & help.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

My advice with the RAM is don't bother. I have 4Gb of high speed gaming RAM, and my system is not noticeably faster than it would have been with normal RAM. Also I think you've typo'd, the highest speed RAM I can find is 1066MHz, rather than 1666MHz.

In case anyone is interested here's my RAM:
http://geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/118
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #32
Screamer7
Orbinaut

Smile

Check out this link:
http://www.ocia.net/articles/memlatency/page1.shtml
And this one:
http://www.huddysworld.co.uk/index.p...rclocking-ddr3
Yes, I did make a mistake.
It should be 1600 MHz.
My bad.

UPDATE.
The compoments had arrive and I assembled the PC.
It was really breeze to build the PC.
First impressions:
WOW!!!
Windows 8 is a different beast to get use to though.
From the moment I press the on switch to the start screen...... 10 seconds!!
And I started from a cold boot, not in sleep or hibernation mode.
Now that is impressive I think.

Sorry for the duplicates.
That is what happening when I try to use my cell phone.

Last edited by Screamer7; 11-22-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Screamer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #33
FADEC
Orbinaut

Congratulations to your new system

My components arrived as well. But I did change my mind once again. I know I did it quite often. Actually too often. The problem was that I simply read too much reviews. In the end I didn't want to spend too much money so I returned to my initial AMD choice. I now have a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (and an ASrock 970 Extreme3 mainboard). I built it yesterday, by using one arm only (mostly). Took almost 7 hours (which includes removing the old components first and cleaning the case; and Windows 7 installation + all the other software).

Overclocking works perfect. I now have 4x4GHz. Idle temp. is 38-40C. While gaming (flight simulation) it increases to 50C. Not too bad for an aircooled CPU I think (http://img.hexus.net/v2/cooling/Arct...G_1565-big.jpg).

That's a nice cheap gaming system. And it seems that ASrock meanwhile builds decent mainboards. Not only that it looks nice. The overclocking capabilities are great as well. Everything just works perfect from the first second.

But there is one fly in the ointment. FSX still does not work satisfactorily with max settings and addon scenery and addon aircraft installed. Quite bad for a program that is 6 years old already. MS did really bad with that engine in my point of view. So that was a waste of money (buying the software once again). But FS2004 now runs 100% smooth in the most dense sceneries, fully pimped with addons. It's awesome. Never run a simulation that smooth. And with all the addons I bought over the years, it doesn't really look much different than FSX, except the water (and no ground traffic and birds).

I didn't try orbiter yet. But it already run perfectly with my old dual core.

Can't wait to test gaming, once my collarbone fracture healed. I consider Battlefield 3 since I saw too many videos for not being interested
FADEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #34
Screamer7
Orbinaut

My fist impressions with Orbiter with this new rig was....oh no.
In the stock Orbiter 2010 P1, my frame rates was very bad. About 30 to 38 FPS.
Then I tried the Direct X 9 and Direct X 11 clients.
They reported a average frame rate of 580 to 700 FPS.
Is that possible?
I've run FRAPS to make double sure and the results where the same.
In the Direct X 11 client the scenery was breathtaking.
I was never been able to see it in it's full glory, because my nVidia 9600 GT was only Direct x 10 compatible.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #35
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer7 View Post
 My fist impressions with Orbiter with this new rig was....oh no.
In the stock Orbiter 2010 P1, my frame rates was very bad. About 30 to 38 FPS.
Then I tried the Direct X 9 and Direct X 11 clients.
They reported a average frame rate of 580 to 700 FPS.
Is that possible?

Yes, it is. I get rotten FPS with the inline client on Windows 7 as well. It turns out my previous computer with XP run Orbiter better in most cases than my current rig.

My usual framerate with the inline client is between 60 and 100, but it was between 100 and 200 on the previous computer. So don't worry, it's something about Windows (ever since Vista) that makes Orbiter slow.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #36
FADEC
Orbinaut

After two weeks of testing my new AMD-based system I have to admit that I was not satisfied with it in the end. AMD CPU's indeed use too much power. While gaming, all fans increased to max speed due to the heat inside the computer, which made the system rather noisy. Even the PSU fan ran at full speed which it never did before when I still had the Core 2 Duo. I could feel the warm air under my desk which is a no go. No more AMD again. This was the last time I gave it a try. How can people be happy with that?

Well, since I am very tired of reading reviews, benchmarks and compare AMD to Intel, I simply chosed to buy the best hardware available obviously. So I don't have to bother anymore.

In other words: today I spend 650 EUR / 840 USD on a new system, except new hard drives and a new PSU. Don't ask where I got the money from while I still had to consider a low budget a few weeks ago... I sold my 17 inch notebook and other hardware on ebay.

This will be my new system:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-G43
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @4x3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge)
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 412 Slim
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator XMP @1600MHz
Graphics card: MSI GTX660 @2GB DDR5

It's already ordered. I expect it to arrive on Tuesday
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADEC View Post
Almost the same as the 3770K I have. By default, K is a bit more clocked. Runs at 4x3.5 GHz by default, with a maximum boost of 3.9 GHz and overclocked to 4.4 GHz. I'm guessing you can overclock yours the same.

Hope you have a good cooler, because this thing cranks out heat like it's it's job...
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #38
Hielor
Defender of Truth

That's very close to the new computer I just put together today. Good choices
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #39
Screamer7
Orbinaut

I must admit that I was a bit disappointed when you choose the AMD CPU.
Not that AMD makes bad CPU's.
But to be competitive to INTEL, they must do some serious makeovers with their CPU designs.
And the most important one is the power consumption.
The Core I5 and Core I7 and even the I3 is in many ways superior to the AMD equivalent.
I think you done a good choice with the I7 CPU.
Oh...BTW, the Nvidia 660 is really a good card.
I own a Gigabyte 660 GTX OC 2 GB card and was not disappointment with it for one second.
I play Crysis 2 with the Direct 11 and the high resolution patch with all the features enabled, at 40 to 50 FPS.

Last edited by Screamer7; 12-10-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
FADEC
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 Almost the same as the 3770K I have. By default, K is a bit more clocked. Runs at 4x3.5 GHz by default, with a maximum boost of 3.9 GHz and overclocked to 4.4 GHz. I'm guessing you can overclock yours the same.
There is only a difference of about 10 EUR between the 3770K and 3770. But I don't intend to overclock my CPU, so I bought the 3770.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 Hope you have a good cooler, because this thing cranks out heat like it's it's job...
I think the cooler which I chosed will do a good job. It's a dual fan cooler (push-pull) from Cooler Master. The heatpipes are directly in contact with the CPU:

Additionally my new case offers an installation of two fans on the top, just above the CPU/mainboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielor View Post
 That's very close to the new computer I just put together today. Good choices
Yeah. I can't wait to get the hardware. I'm curious how FSX will perform on it...

Quote:
 I must admit that I was a bit disappointed when you choose the AMD CPU.
Not that AMD makes bad CPU's.
But to be competitive to INTEL, they must do some serious makeovers with their CPU designs.
And the most important one is the power consumption.
I did not measure the power consumption, but it was obvious that it uses a lot of power only due to the heat the entire systems produces as soon as you start gaming.

Quote:
 The Core I5 and Core I7 and even the I3 is in many ways superior to the AMD equivalent.
I think you done a good choice with the I7 CPU.
Yes. I read that even the i3 ivy bridge CPU's beat the AMD FX CPU's in some games. The i5 already is supposed to be without competition. And the i7 currently is the king of course.

If one takes a look at AMD it seems that this company is going to become an acquisition candidate, if it isn't already. I bought my Core 2 Duo many years ago. At that time Intel already was supposed to be superior to AMD. I've learned my lesson finally. AMD might be a good choice if you are on a low budget. But if the demands are high, it might be better to save some money and buy Intel.

Quote:
 Oh...BTW, the Nvidia 660 is really a good card.
I own a Gigabyte 660 GTX OC 2 GB card and was not disappointment with it for one second.
Good to know

Quote:
 I play Crysis 2 with the Direct 11 and the high resolution patch with all the features enabled, at 40 to 50 FPS.
I might buy Crysis 2 as well. Saw a few videos and screenshots last night. My other choices are Bf3 and CoD Black Ops
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #41
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Don't expect any less heat and noise from the I7 and GTX 660. I can use my I7 and 680 in place of the room's radiator when I start gaming.

I think you misunderstood the overclocking with the I7. It automatically adjusts its clock to fit the situation. By default, if it encounters a computationally heavy task, it boosts itself to its maximum turbo. When it sits idle, it throttles back to like 1.6 GHz or less and sits there at 2% power or something.

When you run it in the overclocked 4.4 GHz range, it also does that, just it increases the maximum turbo to that number - but only when it needs it.

I know when playing Skyrim, it doesn't even use full power even in 3.9 GHz mode, it does about 75%, but when playing Orbiter, it jumps to 4.4 GHz range and one of the cors runs at 90%+.

Not all games are written so that the load on CPU and GPU are balanced, so it always makes sense to have some extra power in reserve. It's exactly because the difference in price is only $10, that you should have gotten the 3770K, though at the end of the day, I still suspect you'll be able to run it in the 4.4 GHz mode and since its turbo is still at 3.9, it won't make much of a difference, if any at all.

Time will tell...
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #42
Screamer7
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADEC View Post
 This will be my new system:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-G43
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 412 Slim
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator XMP @1600MHz
Graphics card: MSI GTX660 @2GB DDR5
Regarding the CPU cooler....
What about a closed water cooling kit like this examples:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5B...ir_h100_review

The main advantage of these coolers is that you remove the fan from the CPU to an external radiator.
That have the benefit of easier cleaning like dust accumulation.
Dust is one of the biggest enemies of heat sink/fan combinations.
They tend to form a effective "blanket" on the heat sink over time due to static electricity.
No matter how clean the environment is....it will always pick up some dust.
An external radiator in my opinion is much easier to clean.

Any thoughts will be appreciated because I consider this very strongly....

And remember FADEC, even the Core I7 will produce some heat, in spite of it's lower power consumption.
In this regard a water cooling kit is a better option.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #43
Hielor
Defender of Truth

No offense, but if you aren't intending to overclock your processor, you wasted money by getting a 3rd party CPU cooler. The stock Intel CPU coolers are really quite fantastic for anything up to moderate overclocks, and is more than you need for the stock speed.

That is, assuming you got the boxed i7 processor--if you got an OEM one and saved some money that way, nevermind....but if you did get the boxed CPU with the included cooler, I'd see about returning the 3rd party cooler if possible.

As for water cooling--again, if you're not overclocking, lots of risk and expense for not much gain.
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
FADEC
Orbinaut

As for the heat created by the CPU: a friend of mine also has an i7. But the noise level and heat generated by his system is by no means comparable to the AMD system which I had (we played Max Payne 3 with 3D Vision). You couldn't imagine. Even the power supply begun to create strange noises like it was on its last legs. And it's a high quality 700 watts PSU from Thermaltake. Remember that an AMD quad core uses almost twice as much power as an i5/i7.

Quote:
 No offense, but if you aren't intending to overclock your processor, you wasted money by getting a 3rd party CPU cooler. The stock Intel CPU coolers are really quite fantastic for anything up to moderate overclocks, and is more than you need for the stock speed.
In terms of overclocking it was a waste. But I got an i7 3770 tray. And there is still one advantage which is why I always buy a third party cooler in any case: it isn't as noisy as the stock coolers usually are. A lot of people don't mind. But I am rather sensitive for that typical stock purr.

The best third party cooler I ever had was the ISGC-200 from Thermaltake. You couldn't hear anything, while the stock cooler made me go crazy. I also expect a convenient sound environment from the Hyper 412 Slim.

Quote:
 Regarding the CPU cooler....
What about a closed water cooling kit like this examples:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5B...ir_h100_review
I don't have good experiences with water cooling to be honest. I had one a few years ago. The installation already was sweat-inducing. But the biggest issue was the noise. The sound of the pump became relatively annoying over time. I read that the issue still exists with the CPU water coolers. Especially the Corsair Hydro Series H100.

Quote:
 The main advantage of these coolers is that you remove the fan from the CPU to an external radiator.
That have the benefit of easier cleaning like dust accumulation.
Well, the fans of good third party CPU coolers are mostly removable very easily. Of course you still have to clean the heat sink itself. But you can buy special attachments for your vacuum cleaner or even special vacuum cleaners. I am going to buy an attachment set for about 10 USD. I wouldn't buy a water cooler only because you can reach the heat sink more easily.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #45
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Not for the 3770, or any other of the 22 nm based CPUs. The stock CPU cooler that came with my CPU couldn't even handle the 3.9 GHz default mode of my 3770K. The internet is full of similar results.

When I run Skyrim, the CPU run at a max of 95C with an average of about 85C. If I run it at full power by giving it a FFT test, it overheated in a few seconds. The stock Intel cooler just can't handle the 22 nm CPUs.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Hardware & Software Help