Before I begin the "Official Documentation", a note from the addon author:
THIS ADDON IS FICTION! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT BASED ON ANY REAL PROJECT OR MISSION!
Now that I have that out of the way, on with the documentation:
On 16 July, 1969, a Saturn V rocket launched from LC-39A at the Kennedy Space Center, on a mission that changed history forever.
Mounted atop the third stage of the monster rocket was a small, fragile craft named "Eagle". Four days later, on July 20, Eagle touched down in the Sea of Tranquility with mere seconds of descent fuel remaining.
While on the lunar surface, the crew set up an American Flag and some science gear, as well as collecting lunar samples and taking some rather historic photos. After about two and a half hours outside, the crew returned to Eagle.
The next day, Eagle's ascent stage fired to lift the crew back to lunar orbit, and their ride home. All three astronauts returned home safely, but Eagle was never intended to return.
The decent stage remains on the Sea of Tranquility, and the ascent stage was left in lunar orbit to presumably crash into the lunar surface as lunar mascons pulled on its orbit.
However, the final fate of Eagle remains unknown; no impact site has been found.
In May of 2021, James Meador released a paper titled 'Long-term Orbit Stability of the Apollo 11 "Eagle" Lunar Module Ascent Stage'. In it, he provides strong evidence that Eagle may still orbit the moon today.
NOW, HERE IS THE FICTIONAL PART!
In November 2022, a new spaceflight startup company, Ion Aerospace, approached SpaceX with an idea to recover Eagle and return it to Earth.
After confirming that Eagle is indeed still intact, the project moved forward. SpaceX would supply the launch vehicles and Earth return capability, and Ion Aerospace would build the recovery spacecraft and associated hardware.
A little over a year and a half later, the mission is ready to go. Now, it is up to you to bring Eagle home.
CAUTION! THIS IS A HARD MISSION! (Particularly the rendezvous with Eagle)
A good working knowledge of basic spaceflight procedures such as rendezvous, docking, etc. are a must!
I have included a bunch of mission scenarios to help you figure out how to fly the mission.
If you need help with something specific, please feel free to ask me.
- Limited battery life for the return spacecraft. If the battery goes dead, you're out of luck! You have about 19 days of power.
- Extensive use of normalmaps and D3D9's Metalness shader for better visuals
- Eagle starts off in a random orbit each time you fly the mission! Never the same mission twice! (Optional Feature)
Required addons: (No, really, you need 'em!)
SpaceX Starship (WIP)
Boca Chica Base
Strongly Recommended addons: (Might be possible without this stuff, but I wouldn't try it!)
Lunar Transfer MFD
- This addon was inspired by a forum post. Gargantua2024, thanks for the inspiration!
- The HES3 mesh is slightly modified from the Jarvis HLV addon by FOI.
- The LM ascent stage mesh, as well as the docking probe meshes are from NASSP.
- The RotateMesh function was originally written by Face as part of the "Ascension Ultra" addon.
- All of the HES3 textures are from the Jarvis HLV addon by FOI, except the orange foam texture. That one is mostly my work, but derived from the original texture by FOI.
- All of the LM textures are straight from NASSP.
- The exhaust textures are both from NASSP.
This addon is released under the GPL 2 license.
- Software License
- Supported Orbiter Version