Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #76
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default Gateway Station Update

ISPRs 1-5, Possible configurations panels as in the the previous source image. I'm very happy with the way they turrned out.
ISPRs 7-8 These are the near walls from the source image 7 on the left(port) and 8 from the right(STBD)
ISPR 9 is a double wide bunk configuration as will be found in the HAB modules.(no prototype for these as there is no gravity aboard ISS) This turned out well, but I need a better texture for a mattress, and padded wall covering. I also need a noise curtain/blackout drape(not shown). It will probably have a texture close to wall texture minus the velcro strips...
Attached Thumbnails
ISPR_7b.jpg   ISPR_8b-01.jpg   ISPR_9b.jpg   ISPR 1-5.jpg  

Last edited by Capt_hensley; 02-03-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: CHanged the ISPR1-5 image to white background
Capt_hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #77
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update

I reproduced the labels found on the CBM Hatch from scratch in Adobe Illustrator. To be used as textures for my 3D hatch I reproducing. Enjoy!

Source Reference Image, This guy is a great help, he made close up images of various aspects of the inside and outside of the hatch that will greatly aid in the detail of the grebles for the hatch.
http://spaceaholic.com/cshatchlatch.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Image1.png   Image3.png   Image4.png   Image6.png   Image7.png  

Thanked by:
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #78
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default Quaesion, Space Station scenario

Once I get the Gateway modules optimized, and exported into a single .MSH, does anyone know how to make the entire assembly a single ship, and create an "already" orbiting object in a single scenario?

I just want to view all the objects already assembled, I don't need any docking ports, or attitude control. Just a high orbiting station so I can pan and zoom.

Up untill now I've been using a single module file in orbit to view the modules one at a time in orbiter, but this was very easy to do.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #79
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update

Some of you may recognize these. I've been working on them adding super detail.

The CBM hatch is the most time consuming object that I've worked on yet. So far about 300 hours are in this thing. It's still not done. I've been learning new techniques of how to slice here, and section there. I learned how to make a flat decal and yet have dimension (all 3) to it. I made the two CBM instruction decals in Adobe Illustrator first. Once I licked it in 2D, I figured out how to make it in 3D. Then came the hard part, getting it to be contoured to look like an appliqué on the exterior of the hatch.

The dust caps, and air duct lids were also fun to make. I still have a long way to go on the plungers, but they are coming along nicely.

I discovered how to engrave text into an object, The latch indicators in different colors are an example. Getting them to curve was about 3 hours of learning.

I learned how to "Pro Boolean" an object together, the Cam wheel is a great example of that effort, The Hatch bulkhead is another.

What you see here is mostly just raw color, and objects.

The LIDS hatch got a new window, thanks to a few Google searches, Its real, and it's transparent, yet has thickness, and shadow.

I improved the exterior grab iron, and made the hatch thickness the proper size. It turned out really nice. Of course these are now on version 51 of my CBM-LIDS adapter.

Although I have yet to use them, I figured out how to make Machine screws, and even though I know how too, I also found a nice repository of free fasteners on Google Sketchup Warehouse.

In order to save time, I'll be grabbing more items.

I had some fun and made the STORRM objects for my docking target, then I made the target board as well. Now it's complete, fully 3D and it looks fantastic.

Hope you enjoy this update, It's been a long time in the works, but well worth the wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Image1.png   Image2.png   Image3.png   Image4.png   Image5.png  

Image6.png   Image7.png   Image8.png  

Last edited by Capt_hensley; 10-12-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Thanked by:
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #80
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update Part 2

Part two
Attached Thumbnails
Image9.png   Image10.png   Image11.png   Image12.png   Image13.png  

Image14.jpg   Image15.jpg   Image16.jpg  
Thanked by:
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #81
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update Part 3

Part Three

I think this view with a few objects removed makes the hatch look alot like a UFO, Don't you agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Image17.png  
Thanked by:
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #82
Ark
Orbinaut

Damn, I can't believe you're still going at this one.
Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #83
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark View Post
 Damn, I can't believe you're still going at this one.
I'm just getting older and slower, but I won't quit till it's done! (well maybe when I turn in the final product, just three more classes{about three years from now})
Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #84
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update

Interior Hatch (Smooth Side)

There are two different pressure valve assy. I took what looks to be the newer version. I looks huge but it's the right scale.

The latching mechanism was a pain to make, but it came out nice.

The inset cutout for the latching handel will not look prototypical, but hey, whos to say this isn't an inprovment over the ISS model.

The hatch plate is a flatter model than the ISS hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Hatch Interior.png  
Thanked by:
Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #85
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update

It's still not finished, there are a few misc things missing, like a bolt or tw, some alignment arrows at the edge of the hatch, text on the pressure valve on the interior, and the equalization button-valve, a couple of lanyards.

Things I did do are the latch plungers, the slide mounts for the plungers that keep the end near the cam in place, the warning stickers, the track bearings, the cable clamps for the hatch lock, the handle/strap at the top, and the text for the cam wouldn't render so figured that out.

These are renders that show chrome pins, cast aluminum, fasteners by plated color, and so on. Enjoy, comments welcome, don't be shy.
Attached Thumbnails
001_Hatch Inner.jpg   002_Hatch Inner.jpg   003_Hatch Inner.jpg   004_Hatch Inner.jpg   Hatch Plunger_10_20_2012.jpg  

Last edited by Capt_hensley; 12-09-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 10-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #86
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update

Got the radiator fins tubes made. For some reason the first three radiator cones dont render, gotta work on that!
Attached Thumbnails
Radiator Fins a.png   Radiator Fins.jpg  
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #87
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update

Latching End Effector, efforts to refine the details. Minus the camera, but I've got some great close-ups, so It'll be along shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
LEE-P-001.jpg   LEE-O-001.png  
Thanked by:
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #88
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Been working on the database of objects. I also recalculated the power consumption of the station. "I missed it by that much" Power consumption demands dispite the improvments in efficiency of solar arays (now at over 44% vs 14% of the ISS SAs) still shows 16 panels only generating about 92% of the needed power. I had to add two additional panels outside the original 4 on each quadrant. This modification also drove the upgrade of the battery module to a modular system, What was once only one module at about 65' long is now Three modules each at 45-49' long. The two external modules hold 5 battery bays and are called intermediate battery modules. The interior module is 49' long to accomodate the SARJ or Alpha gimbal. It holds 5 battery bays as well. All the battery bays are packed with ORUs.

We now have 12 Beta gimbals to complete the sun tracking capability.

In addition in order to keep the reach of the RMS systems able to place the intermediate battery modules, all four trusses needed to be lengthend by two 70' segments. Adding an additional 140' to the overall length. Now each truss is 13 segemnts long instead of only 11. 910' long or Three Football Fields Floating Freely in Face, uh I mean space. Images to follow...

I modified the End caps of the trusses to have only 6 grapple fixtures, 4 PDGF, 1 DGF, 1 vanilla GF. Both of the LEEs are still there. This was driven by the presence of only one Robonaut 2, parked on each of the 4 Fwd endcaps. The external Robonaut 2s will have a LEE equipped with a PDGF oppisite of it's camera mount. This is so a Canada arm can grab it, delatch him from the parking spot, and then use him normaly at the end of the arm. It looks strange but it's practical and necessary.

There were a great many other discoveries as I did the research, some administrative, others altered both operations and configureation. My original Flight plan had to be scrapped and the sequince changed so much it was a waste of time to try and salvage it.

The trudgery goes on.

Last edited by Capt_hensley; 12-09-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #89
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

Default GWS Update (images)

Robonaut 2 with the LEE and PDGF modifications
Battery Modules as modified
The full array quadrant
Node CBM coordinat selection sheet.
Truss End Cap sheet after update of the End Cap. 6 parking spots now.
Top View Coordinate selection sheet.

I use this sheet and several others to select the coordinates of an object on the station. This is important only when on an EVA, and your not near the ID plate of a given object.
Attached Thumbnails
Image10.png   Image9.png   Image8.png   Image7.png   Image6.png  

Image1.png  
Thanked by:
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #90
Capt_hensley
Captain, USS Pabilli

I'm thinking of replacing my fixed length RMS segments with telescopic segments.

The idea is to create a small shipping configuration so a 100 foot long arm would colapse into a deployable package that would fit into the trunk of a Dragon spacecraft.

The arm would be much like the Canada Arm 2 aboard the ISS, except that the tubes that are fixed length segments, would be telescopic.

Each segment would be extendable only once, and would be deployed upon reaching orbit. At each end would be the Powered and Data enabled Latching End Effector

Not much info on this idea exists, I know only of a study paper done by NASA in 1977, and the Russian STRELLA system, except that STRELLA can be retracted.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated, and additional research material would be very helpful.

TIA

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development

Tags
mars direct, space station