Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Articles > A3. Orbiter Tutorials
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Notices

Article Tools
Old
Webmaster

Videos XR2 Wideawake to Brighton Beach: 7 Part Video Tutorial (by Tex)
by Tex 12-14-2010, 08:19 AM

This is a 7 part, full feature ORBITER 2010-P1 tutorial! We start from the ground at Wideawake International in the XR2 Ravenstar. I will show you how to prepare for launch, take-off, and fly the XR2 to the Moon with a landing on pad 1 at Brighton Beach. We have a crew habitat module loaded in the cargo bay, along with some extra main fuel. We will discard the extra main fuel container before ejecting LEO for the Moon.

*Scenarios for this tutorial can be downloaded here*

You may watch the 7 parts on You Tube linked below:
PART 1: (Intro / Pre-Launch)
PART 2: (Launch to Parking Orbit)
PART 3: (TransX Setup & Earth Eject)
PART 4: (Mid-Course Correction) *UPDATED!
PART 5: (Moon Encounter)
PART 6: (Base Synchronization)
PART 7: (De-Orbit & Landing)
Views 14611 Comments 13
Total Comments 13

Comments

Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Tex
Webmaster

Well, I was just playing around with my flight here and I did the mid-course correction as usual, however I was not able to get my plane right over Brighton Beach on the first orbit after being captured by the Moon, like I did in the video here.

Is there anyone who knows about this that could shed some light on it for me? Is it both inclination and LAN which needs to be adjusted so that your orbital plane is in line with Brighton Beach on your first orbit? I tried playing with TransX for the mid-course correction to get the LAN up to 38 with Inc around 68, but no dice. I couldn't get the LAN where it might should be, or is that not important? I realize an inclination in the neighborhood I mentioned will eventually pass over Brighton Beach, but it appears it doesn't necessarily mean it will be on your first capture orbit...

EDIT - OK, scratch that. I spoke to flytandem and he told me how one can ensure your orbit passes right over Brighton Beach on the first orbit, however it complicates the trip planning just a bit. I'll play around with it and see if I can update part 4 of the tutorial with this new information. Currently my tutorial will surely get you to the Moon with an inclination that will pass over Brighton Beach, but it may not pass over it on your first orbit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Great tutorial, mate! I went ahead and added a news blurb and a link to this thread on my Web page.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Stevodoran
Donator

Very nice. Have to download it. It will definitely help.
Stevodoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Tex
Webmaster

Don't rush to download it just yet, I am going to update it with a vital step I missed to ensure you pass over Brighton Beach on your first orbit of the Moon. Currently the tutorial will get you to the Moon with no problem and in an orbit inclination that will eventually pass over Brighton, but it will be pure luck if it happens on the first orbit as it did for me in the video.

Flytandem has instructed me how to do this, so I am working on re-filming part of the tutorial. Check back here for an update soon.
Thanked by:
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Stevodoran
Donator

I sure will tex. Thanks.
Stevodoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Tommy
Orbinaut

I realize you are using TransX, but wanted to point out that you can verify that you will pass over Brighton Beach by using IMFD's Map after your burns. If you set Brighton Beach as the "Landing Target" on IMFD's main config page, then set Map to TGT Moon, and hit the mode button until an "Ang" value is shown on the lower left - an Ang of zero indicates a direct fly-over. This can be useful for helping "fine tune" the approach using RCS with great accuracy.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
n72.75
Donator

Great tutorials Tex!

One question: how come no VTOL MFD?
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
webtek
Addon Developer

I see that you updated part 4, I ended up being the 2nd viewer. Great tutorial, ill fly this soon.
webtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Tex
Webmaster

Thanks guys!

I've just updated part 4. The fix was easy enough using TransX, but we needed to target Brighton Beach on the MapMFD before doing the mid-course correction.

You can view the updated part 4 on You Tube now. If you've already downloaded all of the videos, then you may download only the updated part 4 HERE.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
Tex
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by n72.75 View Post
 One question: how come no VTOL MFD?
TBH, I've never used it.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
flytandem
Tutorial Publisher

Nice update Tex.
Just a tiny thing... if you make the graph projection be "focus" in the moon encounter stage then you will have a better visual of how close you are to the moon and the dashed yellow line to the base will extend to the edge of the moons outline when you are passing over the base on your first orbit.

When still in the Earth centered stage, for doing the MCC I have usually found plane change and prograde instead of plane change and outward to be the best variables to adjust to get the trajectory both over the base and near the surface. However after you have switched stages and are doing the maneuver in the moon encounter stage then outward and plane change are the best variables. But as in all maneuvers, it's good to consider all 3 variables every time and find what seems to be working. I always enjoy the counter-intuitiveness and 3 variable juggling act of making maneuvers.
flytandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Tex
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytandem View Post
 Nice update Tex.
Just a tiny thing... if you make the graph projection be "focus" in the moon encounter stage then you will have a better visual of how close you are to the moon and the dashed yellow line to the base will extend to the edge of the moons outline when you are passing over the base on your first orbit.
oops, forgot about that. I didn't really find it was required in order to get a pass over the base though, as long as you get the off plane distance to a reasonably low number, but I see the benefit for those graphically inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytandem
 When still in the Earth centered stage, for doing the MCC I have usually found plane change and prograde instead of plane change and outward to be the best variables to adjust to get the trajectory both over the base and near the surface. However after you have switched stages and are doing the maneuver in the moon encounter stage then outward and plane change are the best variables. But as in all maneuvers, it's good to consider all 3 variables every time and find what seems to be working. I always enjoy the counter-intuitiveness and 3 variable juggling act of making maneuvers.
Thanks for the tip! I guess I said outward because I generally find better luck with that variable for mcc's, but for sure it's best and actually more fun to spend time going through them all finding the best solution which uses the least amount of fuel. Perhaps I will expand on that in a future tutorial, but hopefully this will help beginners and maybe intermediate Orbinauts get the the Moon and Brighton Beach now.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
ejen341
Orbinaut

Tex,

Just had time to slowly go thru your first two episodes and I have to tell you they have been hugely helpful. I thank you for your efforts to help new players, you are awesome!
ejen341 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Articles > A3. Orbiter Tutorials

Article Tools