Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Astronomy & the Night Sky Astronomy news & discussions, Astrophotography, Telescopes, Star Charts, & more. Galaxies, Stars, Planets & Moons, discuss it all here!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
YL3GDY
Orbinaut

Photos Astrophoto thread (your own photos please)

Hi all.

Some of recent discussions encouraged me to create a thread, where astrophotographs (real, of course!) can be posted.

So, you are welcome to post here your shots of the sky!
YL3GDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

I've just started astrophotography. Here's my first image of the moon (bit blurry, am trying to sort it out as I'm still learning)

Celestron Ultima 2000 (8", f/10)
Canon 350D at prime focus.
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Some shots of the recent lunar eclipse, thru telescope, and simple camera:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/ecl-080221-gal.php

Artlav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
YL3GDY
Orbinaut

Artlav, which equipment were you using?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
YL3GDY
Orbinaut

And here is my shot. I have used Nikon D40 camera with Nikkor 55-200mm lens. Exposure: 1/200 sec., f/5.6, ISO-200. The photo was taken in Riga, in 1st December 2007.

I have a bit photoshopped this image a bit...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0496.jpg  
Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
silent_protagonist
Orbinaut

Well, they're not nearly as good as what's already been posted, but here are two of mine:

This is the only half-way decent image I've been able to get just holding my camera to the eyepiece of my scope. (I ought to try this again, now that I have some eyepieces with eye-cups; should make things a bit easier.)

17P/Holmes taken with just my camera.

Oh yea, I'm using a Meade model 4500 (Newtonian, 4.5' f/8) and a Fujifilm FinePix S7000 :whistle:
silent_protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by YL3GDY View Post
 Artlav, which equipment were you using?
Canon PowerShot A700 for 6Mpix camera and the telescope is labeled "TeleScience", made in China.
Labelled as having 450x zoom, but in practice it's about half that - you can only see a quarter of the Moon at medium zoom, and maximum won't focus due to shakiness of the structure.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
spcefrk
Ph.D Student

Hey guys,

I've got a Nikon D40 and I want to get a telescope (and preferably a motor mount to track the sky) that will fit it. I haven't owned a telescope in a good 10 years, so I'm woefully out of practice.

What is a good reasonably priced telescope that I can get a Nikon body adapter for and will track the sky?

Or is there a website I've overlooked that explains this already?

Moreover, I don't even know what type of telescope is best for astrophotography...
spcefrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
YL3GDY
Orbinaut

Hello spcefrk,

It's nice to see that here are people interested in astrophotography

Basically, there's no question of connecting Nikon camera to a telescope. Universal solution is an adapter. Preciously, two adapters: T-mount and 1.25". I've bought them on eBay for $32.

The main thing - the telescope. First and main is optical scheme. Basically, you can use any, but in Newtonian you'll have fewer problems with centre of mass. But, as far as I know, people use very different machines.

Extra useful feature is a drive that rotates the tube around polar axis. For taking more that 2 astroshots it is obligatory. Also a good and heavy tripod.

Personally I am using Meade RS-2114 Newtonian reflector, equipped with computer-controlled tripod. This works great, but I haven't interested for other models. This device I received as a prize on an astronomical contest.

If you have any questions, you could PM me, and I'll try to help.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
McWgogs
Addon Developer

Here's some of my best shots, the specific scope and camera details are in the links.

22 may 2007 Occultation of Saturn 1 2 3

Noctilucent clouds

Venus-Jupiter Conjunction

Sunspots

Sun

Planets

Me and mah 'scope
McWgogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #11
tblaxland
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWgogs View Post
Who said astronomy can't be cool? Nice photos, btw.
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #12
n0mad23
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWgogs View Post
Say, I thought this was a G-Rated site . I used to have a statue from Bali that made your 'telescope' look modest.
n0mad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #13
SPASE_1976
Addon Developer

see the situation first

http://www.orbitersim.com/Forum/Defa...=posts&t=19199

then see the pic

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mypic1gp8.jpg

McWgogs you look like the terminator with a bazooka (no ofense,just kidding !)
i like the '22 may 2007 Occultation of Saturn 1 2 3' also the sunspots are very impressive
SPASE_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Tried to get my setup back together tonight...
The Moon was the only visible target, and the pictures are far from perfect quality, but that's about the best i can get on my rig.

A close of the Moon, the unfocusing gives a weird effect as if Luna had an atmosphere.

An attempt at close-up. The least blurry one...
Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
spcefrk
Ph.D Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by YL3GDY View Post
 The main thing - the telescope. First and main is optical scheme. Basically, you can use any, but in Newtonian you'll have fewer problems with centre of mass. But, as far as I know, people use very different machines.
Personally I am using Meade RS-2114 Newtonian reflector, equipped with computer-controlled tripod. ...
If you have any questions, you could PM me, and I'll try to help.
Do you know of any good books I can pick up or websites that give a sort of "so you want to get into astrophotography" that I might read through? I'm really starting from square one here.

I knew I would have to get a T-adapter -- I'd figured that much out from stumbling around the web, but I made the mistake of looking around websites selling them before I knew what I was doing and promptly confused myself. I've got a well established track record now of finding good entry-level models for all my hobbies (the D40, my basic Fender Strat, Spyder MR1, Saitek Yoke and Throttle, RC Trainer, etc...) I'm effectively looking for the good but entry-level automated telescope that doesn't necessarily assume I've been an astronomy buff for the last 10 years. Something nice enough that I don't have to jury rig anything but cheap enough that I don't need to take out a loan for it.

Effectively what I know about astrophotography is this: Telescopes are used like very powerful camera lenses. You remove the lens from an SLR and attach it to the telescope with an adapter. To take long exposure shots, you need to track the movement of the sky or get streaked stars (which can be nice too). If possible a telescope that can track specific objects (planets, stars, etc...) would be nice, but not necessary.
spcefrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Astronomy & the Night Sky