Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #23476
Linguofreak
Orbinaut
Default

I was in the first semi-serious car wreck of my life today (as a passenger). That isn't really saying much: I'd only been in fender-benders so far, but we got rear-ended on the highway with probably about 20 mph delta V between the two vehicles. Fortunately, I have no obvious injuries, though I think I may be sore in the morning. The other guy got punched in the gut by his airbag. The entrance ramp we were near tends to be a trouble spot, and the same slow-down that got us produced a much more serious accident about 500 feet ahead of us just a few minutes later.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #23477
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
 
Andy44's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 I was in the first semi-serious car wreck of my life today (as a passenger). That isn't really saying much: I'd only been in fender-benders so far, but we got rear-ended on the highway with probably about 20 mph delta V between the two vehicles. Fortunately, I have no obvious injuries, though I think I may be sore in the morning. The other guy got punched in the gut by his airbag. The entrance ramp we were near tends to be a trouble spot, and the same slow-down that got us produced a much more serious accident about 500 feet ahead of us just a few minutes later.
I've been in several fender benders and at least two nasty wrecks.

The first one I was a passenger in an old Pontiac Sunbird, early 80s IIRC, and a woman in a big car pulled out in front of us and we T-boned her. No airbag but my seat was reclined and the seatbelt worked so no injuries. I vividly remember seeing that woman's face, her glasses, and her mouth like an "O" as realized what was about to happen; I tried to put my hand up reflexively to brace for impact, and then seeing the hood buckle up in front of me as we spun around 180 degrees and slid to a stop.

The second accident was my freshman year in college when I was driving my beloved Volkswagen Sirocco home on a rainy day, and as I slowed down to make a left turn I got blasted from behind, never saw it coming. I had waved a car in front of me before turning since he was already blocking the intersection. Last thing I remember before impact was Black Sabbath was playing on my radio and I was looking at the dial when BAMMM!!!

Strangely I was looking up at those little holes in the headliner common to VWs, with strange sliding noises and a racing engine nearby, and then another bump as I hit the car in front of me. The racing engine belonged to the woman who had hit me; her throttle got stuck open from the damage, and then she cut the ignition. She had hit me so hard that my seat back had broken and I was laying on the back seat. I sat back up and immediately noticed that the Blaupunkt radio was missing; it had popped out of the instrument panel and was laying on the floor. It dawned on me that I had been in a serious accident and suddenly I had a strong desire to get out.

The girl practically ripped the door open to get me out; she was a bit worried she may have really injured me. I was okay, but my poor car had given its life to save me. The rear bumper was caved in with a 90 degree bend in it, the rear deck had frisbee'd across the street with my Pioneer speakers on it, the rear tires were squished by the fenders of the bent car body, and there was a gasoline leak (hence my instinct to GET OUT).

I woke up the next day with whiplash and my neck was kind of sore for a couple of days. I still miss that car.

Last edited by Andy44; 05-22-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #23478
Linguofreak
Orbinaut
Default

We weren't hit that badly, enough to set off the airbag of the guy that hit us and cause easily visible damage to both vehicles, but both were still drivable.

The wreck that happened downstream of us just afterward looked fairly nasty, though. Impact delta-v was probably fortyish, and I think there may have been multiple cars involved. Two were squished together pretty tight when we drive by afterwards.

I really miss my old Geo Prizm. It didn't die in a wreck, just came in with a maintenance bill that was well beyond its value. And unfortunately, I didn't have the money to replace it with a suitably newer Prizm/Corolla: people have figured out that they're cheap little tanks, so they've become correspondingly less cheap. I replaced it with a super-low mileage (for its age) Chevy Lumina. I don't anticipate it will last me 10 years like the Geo did, but it seems to be decent enough.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #23479
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller
 
Artlav's Avatar

Default

Once upon a time when i was 12 and stupid, i was riding a bicycle down the road and saw a big puddle ahead. I could hear a car coming behind me, so i waited for it to pass, then went around the puddle.

You see, i assumed there was only one car.

The realization that i screwed up came with the screeching of the brakes behind, followed by rapid acceleration, futile attempts to hold on to the bike and getting airborne, and finished with a "well, crap" feeling on impact with the pavement as i slided to a stop.

Fortunately, i ended up with just a minor concussion and missing a bunch of skin on my back.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #23480
Urwumpe
Certain Super User
 
Urwumpe's Avatar

Default

Just one hour left before we are departing for the hospital. I am just the "very important fan" now, but still, pulse rate goes up a bit.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #23481
jedidia
shoemaker without legs
 
jedidia's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Just one hour left before we are departing for the hospital. I am just the "very important fan" now, but still, pulse rate goes up a bit.
Well, at least you're on schedule. Our boys spontaneously decided to drop in 2 months early, so things were a bit chaotic...
Anywas, best of luck. I hope all goes well.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #23482
RisingFury
OBSP developer
 
RisingFury's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Once upon a time when i was 12 and stupid, i was riding a bicycle down the road and saw a big puddle ahead. I could hear a car coming behind me, so i waited for it to pass, then went around the puddle.

You see, i assumed there was only one car.

The realization that i screwed up came with the screeching of the brakes behind, followed by rapid acceleration, futile attempts to hold on to the bike and getting airborne, and finished with a "well, crap" feeling on impact with the pavement as i slided to a stop.

Fortunately, i ended up with just a minor concussion and missing a bunch of skin on my back.
I feel like this is a setup for one of the "In Soviet Russia..." jokes
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #23483
Linguofreak
Orbinaut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Once upon a time when i was 12 and stupid, i was riding a bicycle down the road and saw a big puddle ahead. I could hear a car coming behind me, so i waited for it to pass, then went around the puddle.

You see, i assumed there was only one car.

The realization that i screwed up came with the screeching of the brakes behind, followed by rapid acceleration, futile attempts to hold on to the bike and getting airborne, and finished with a "well, crap" feeling on impact with the pavement as i slided to a stop.

Fortunately, i ended up with just a minor concussion and missing a bunch of skin on my back.
I did something similar around age 10 or 11. I was walking down a road (two lane, not busy, no sidewalk, so we were walking down the middle of the road) with a group of people, and heard tire noise from a car behind us, so I ran over to the shoulder to let it pass. Problem was, it wasn't a car, it was a bike, so it was closer than I'd assumed from the tire noise, and the biker had decided to pass between our group and the shoulder. So I ended up running right in front of him. Next thing I know, something hits my ankle (his front tire), and I do this nice little somersault, and wind up lying on my back on the grass by the side of the road. I ended up with a nasty scab all down the outside of my right ankle where he clipped me.

For me the feeling wasn't so much "well, crap" as "wait... what?"

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 I feel like this is a setup for one of the "In Soviet Russia..." jokes
Well, from my story combined with his:

"In Soviet Russia, you hit bike. In America, bike hits you!"
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #23484
n122vu
Addon Developer
 
n122vu's Avatar

Default

My first major accident was also as a passenger in a Pontiac Sunbird (1986 model, I believe). It was the early 90's, Fall of 92 or so I think, I was 17. It was Friday night. We had just left the local McDonald's and were headed one county over to meet each other at the bowling alley. We'd gone about a block, and my friend was looking for a rap tape in his console, didn't see the car in front of him stopped to turn left into a driveway until it was just a bit too late (a 1980 Sunbird, ironically). He tried to swerve around her to the right, but clipped her right rear bumper with about 8 inches of his left front. Enough of an impact to total both cars.

My second serious accident involved getting rear-ended while driving my 1993 Chevy S10 with Tahoe Trim package, Camaro rims, and white letter tires (I loved this truck). I was stopped in traffic that was sitting still due to another car suddenly turning left with no room to go around on the right. The turning car was about 3 vehicles ahead of me I'd been stationary for about 10 seconds. The vehicle behind me was a 1989 Ford Bronco that didn't see any of us stopped, ironically because he was looking down to put a tape in his cassette player. He estimated he was going about 55 when he hit me. My truck ended up in a V-shape. Thankfully, the gas tank did not rupture, which was common for that body style of S10, in which the tank was right behind the cab of the truck. Such impacts typically resulted in explosive outcomes. However, he did hit me with such force that my head went up and over the headrest, and impacted the left rear window pane of the cab, shattering it. Quite a feat since, with my 5'4" stature, I had the seat most of the way forward, leaving about 8 inches from the back of the headrest to the glass. I had a horrible case of whiplash that lasted months.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #23485
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
 
Andy44's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 I've been in several fender benders and at least two nasty wrecks.

The first one I was a passenger in an old Pontiac Sunbird,
Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 My first major accident was also as a passenger in a Pontiac Sunbird (1986 model, I believe). It was the early 90's, Fall of 92 or so I think, I was 17. It was Friday night. We had just left the local McDonald's and were headed one county over to meet each other at the bowling alley. We'd gone about a block, and my friend was looking for a rap tape in his console, didn't see the car in front of him stopped to turn left into a driveway until it was just a bit too late (a 1980 Sunbird, ironically).
Ok, now what the heck is going on with Pontiac Sunbirds?!

Was that model actually more cursed than the Ford Pinto?
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #23486
jedidia
shoemaker without legs
 
jedidia's Avatar
Default

Me and the WIfe are rewatching Babylon 5. It's the only show I have on DVD. It feels like handling ancient technology.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #23487
Loru
Moderator
 
Loru's Avatar


Default

Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #23488
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller
 
Artlav's Avatar

Default

Well, Uber is an absurdity. Somehow it manages to be right in the middle of the uncanny valley - a mix of lateral inter-people interactions and technology, that is anxi-painful to use and nearly impossible to take seriously despite any evidence.
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #23489
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008
 
Thunder Chicken's Avatar
Default

Don't hear it often on the radio, probably because it makes people like me speed, but I heard it today when driving home :


Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 05-24-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags
avatars, images


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 AM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.