Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
SethEden
Beta Tester

Arrow Orbiter Distribution - Torrents

Hey Guys,

I'm proud to announce that StableIT.org has been selected as the official distribution network and hosting management solution for the OrbiterSim LandSat project.

StableIT.org will also be hosting and seeding torrents for the next version of Orbiter 2009 as well as the Landsat suite of add-ons.

If any of you have any Orbiter torrents you would like to create or need help seeding then StableIT.org will be happy to help you in this process, StableIT.org will even create a page where you can link all your Orbiter torrents in one single place making it easier for people to find all your packages.

StableIT.org is a child of StableIT.com which offers site design/management and StableIT.net which serves web/domain hosting, please consider StableIT.org for your next website project and web hosting / domain name needs!

Cheers
~Seth
www.SethEden.com
SethEden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
StableIT
Donator

Thanks Seth for the introduction, I’ve always been a big fan of simulators and space games!

I’m proud to offer these services to the Orbiter community and help where I can

Thank you!
Eric

-- updated 12/27/13 --
The files are available via direct download through http://orbitersimulator.com

Please inform me of any trouble!

Last edited by StableIT; 12-27-2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Update of critical information.
StableIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
martins
Orbiter Founder

Excellent news! Thanks for your orbiter support! Torrents seem a good way to distribute in particular large addons, such as planet textures. I will use this service to distribute the Earth and Moon textures for the next version, which are too big to be handled by my web service provider (who already isn't too happy about the number of terabytes I'm using up each month ).
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
StableIT
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Excellent news! Thanks for your orbiter support! Torrents seem a good way to distribute in particular large addons, such as planet textures.
This point itself needed a solution larger than a single point of resolution. I hope to organize that solution through community torrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 I will use this service to distribute the Earth and Moon textures for the next version, which are too big to be handled by my web service provider (who already isn't too happy about the number of terabytes I'm using up each month ).
I'm grateful to have you on board! Challenging as it is, but Wonderfully all the same, this projects grown to need a bit more distribution - lurking about the outskirts (ok im a troll of very minor sorts) I've noted that it may be headed towards a need like this. I'm thankful to be able to offer a solution!

My respect and thanks Dr ,
Eric

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Just to note blame where blame is deserved, I blame Seth for always keeping my 'minor troll status' with him spending the past half decade plus sending me notes and keeping me up to date on Orbiter

So.. I've bicouriously trolled through him?!? I feel even more dirty than before this post..

Last edited by StableIT; 10-23-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Notebook
Donator

Not sure if this is a valid question, or even if what I'm doing is correct, as my experience of torrents is practically nill.
However, thought I would join in and do some hosting. Seems to work, but all of Seth's textures have "Error : Element not found" messages.

Using BitTorrent 6.2.

Here's a screen pic:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4/Image1-1.jpg

Any ideas?
thanks, N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #6
StableIT
Donator

Thanks for the info Notebook, I'll start working on this and see what I can sort out
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
ThatGuy
Orbinaut

My only problem with this is that I can't gain access them. P2P is not allowed on campus.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
StableIT
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
 My only problem with this is that I can't gain access them. P2P is not allowed on campus.
Thats a good point, there are non-P2P ideas on my desk for this project and a few have been examined fairly well but they are not launch ready.

Unfortunatly those are probably not going to come into a release for another month / 2 months.

I'm sure there will be a post on my site and very possibly here as well when this does start to surface

Thank you,
Eric

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Not sure if this is a valid question, or even if what I'm doing is correct, as my experience of torrents is practically nill.
However, thought I would join in and do some hosting. Seems to work, but all of Seth's textures have "Error : Element not found" messages.

Using BitTorrent 6.2.

Here's a screen pic:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4/Image1-1.jpg

Any ideas?
thanks, N.
I looked at this and the files work from inside my network. I've done a bit of email support via the [About->Contact] page and had reports of various files coming through as recently as about 18 hours ago.

Can someone please verify?

Eric
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StableIT View Post
 Thanks for the info Notebook, I'll start working on this and see what I can sort out
If its any help, I now have a complete "..._Earth_L8" file.
All the others have one or more elements missing. Usually just one.

N.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
n72.75
Donator

Quote:
rewrite your headers.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #11
simonpro
Beta Tester

Quote:
Tell them to sort it out. A lot of science data is distributed by torrents. Tell them it'll increase their research potential.
simonpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
ThatGuy
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpro View Post
 Tell them to sort it out. A lot of science data is distributed by torrents. Tell them it'll increase their research potential.
Because P2P is so popular, it put a strain on their servers. So they had to completely ban it.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
eveningsky339
Resident Orbiter Slave

Quote:
 Because P2P is so popular, it put a strain on their servers. So they had to completely ban it.
If you're using wifi, you may just have to briefly relocate to a cafe or something rather which provides free wireless internet. Not sure how they would feel about having torrents downloaded, though (a lot of people think torrents=piracy), but I doubt they will care. Or notice, for that matter.
eveningsky339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
agentgonzo
Grounded since '09

I'll start seeding the torrents when they're released as I have a pretty good server on a dedicated 100Mb/s link to the UK backbone.
agentgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Notebook
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StableIT View Post
Sorry to waste your time, I've put the files and BitTorrent on my laptop and they are downloading and seeding fine. Looks like my Vista box is at fault, its just started telling me the hard drive is about to fail. It did that two years ago, when it was new, and I ignored it. Suppose I'd better start backing things up.

Co-incidence, or do torrent files get into places normal files don't?

N.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum

Tags
landsat, orbiter distribution, torrents