Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 AM   #4336
Donamy
Beta Tester

That was the problem. The one I had has hardly any visualization perimeters in it. I found one that did. Thanks !!!
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #4337
Felix24
Orbinaut

There was mention a long while back of a way to switch between PBR and legacy shaders on a per-meshgroup basis. How do I do that?
Felix24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #4338
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix24 View Post
 There was mention a long while back of a way to switch between PBR and legacy shaders on a per-meshgroup basis. How do I do that?
We don't have separate shaders for PBR and legacy modes. Both are implemented in the same shader. It will switch between the two based on which texture maps are specified.

Does the attached document answer to your question ?

There is a "Data Window" added in mesh debugger that will display more detailed information about the pipeline state. The fresnel map is not fully implemented. I am not exactly sure how to implement it. Also, It would seem that most materials becomes more reflective when viewed from a very shallow angle, so, maybe it should be turned on by default.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Guide to D3D9Client.zip (1.18 MB, 19 views)
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #4339
Felix24
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 We don't have separate shaders for PBR and legacy modes. Both are implemented in the same shader. It will switch between the two based on which texture maps are specified.

Does the attached document answer to your question ?
Thanks! I think it does. If I understand it correctly, all I have to do is create a .spec texture map, and the shader will switch to legacy mode.

I've had a long hiatus, but I'm trying to get caught up with development. I like the added options in the debug window, and I'll take a look at the fresnel map implementation once I get more up to speed.
Thanked by:
Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #4340
kuddel
Donator
Question spacecraft.dll and Orbiter BETA

Hello there,

I have a question regarding spacecraft.dll (version 2, 3 or 4):
I like to implement a hint -for the user of D3D9Client- whether the current loading version of spacecraft.dll is "O.K."ed for the running version of Orbiter.

Now the question:
Is there any spacecraft.dll version that is working for Orbiter BETA (r64)?

Or are these the only working pairs?
Orbiter 2016???
Orbiter 2010-P1spacecraft4.dll
Orbiter OLDERspacecraft3.dll

Last edited by kuddel; 04-28-2017 at 07:58 PM.
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #4341
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post
 Hello there,

I have a question regarding spacecraft.dll (version 2, 3 or 4):
I like to implement a hint -for the user of D3D9Client- whether the current loading version of spacecraft.dll is "O.K."ed for the running version of Orbiter.

Now the question:
Is there any spacecraft.dll version that is working for Orbiter BETA (r64)?

Or are these the only working pairs?
Orbiter 2016???
Orbiter 2010-P1spacecraft4.dll
Orbiter OLDERspacecraft3.dll
Neither for "official" Orbiter 2016 nor for the beta there is a dedicated SCx. Donamy seems to be beta-testing an SC5 version for Vinka, but that is hearsay.

Both SC3 and SC4 kind of work in 2016, but suffer from various bugs of essential features.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #4342
Donamy
Beta Tester

Haven't heard from Vinka in awhile, SC5 seems to work pretty well. There are still issues with attachments.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #4343
GLS
Addon Developer

Any help with this log message?
Code:
D3D9: ERROR: SurfHandle=0xE5343F0, Never use Sketchpad::GetDC() hDC not available
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:08 AM   #4344
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Any help with this log message?
Code:
D3D9: ERROR: SurfHandle=0xE5343F0, Never use Sketchpad::GetDC() hDC not available
The sketchpad in D3D9 is using DirectX to render a graphics. Calling oapiCrerateSketchpad() will bind the target surface to a GPU and the GPU is prepared to receive a drawing instructions. At this point there is no way of getting a hDC to the target surface.

In general, DirectX 9 is internally multi-threaded therefore mixing a CPU and GPU based drawing instructions do cause a severe thread synchronization issues. Resulting lag, stalls and frame skips.

---------- Post added at 03:43 ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Haven't heard from Vinka in awhile, SC5 seems to work pretty well. There are still issues with attachments.
Does SC5 still require symbolic links or is it able to fetch the configuration files from the right place by on it's own ?

---------- Post added at 04:08 ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 ----------

Quote:
 I like the added options in the debug window, and I'll take a look at the fresnel map implementation once I get more up to speed.
OK, Thanks. That would be appreciated.
Thanked by:
Old 04-30-2017, 01:21 AM   #4345
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:

Does SC5 still require symbolic links or is it able to fetch the configuration files from the right place by on it's own ?
I did get a warning when I started the clean install.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #4346
Felix24
Orbinaut

Line 369 in PBR.fx should be uncommented. Without it, reflections aren't accurate.

Here it is with it commented out:

And then with the line uncommented:

PHP Code:
// Attennuate diffuse surface beneath
cDiff.rgb *= (1.0f fRefl); 
Old 05-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #4347
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
 Line 369 in PBR.fx should be uncommented. Without it, reflections aren't accurate.
Thanks, Looks like I have done some tests and forgot to re-enable the line.

Also regarding the Fresnel reflections. If you observe a brushed aluminium or copper plate it doesn't reflect much when viewing from a high angle 30-90 deg and the reflection is very blurry. But then, if it's observed from a shallow angle 5 - 15 deg, the reflections becomes stronger and sharper. There's no trouble reading a newspaper through it, it's like a mirror.

Does a Fresnel reflection also apply to a metallic materials or are we talking about some other phenomena.

Should we try to approximate a default Fresnel behavior from a surface roughness and reflectivity. And use the Fresnel material/texture to override the defaults if needed.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:30 AM   #4348
Felix24
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Also regarding the Fresnel reflections. If you observe a brushed aluminium or copper plate it doesn't reflect much when viewing from a high angle 30-90 deg and the reflection is very blurry. But then, if it's observed from a shallow angle 5 - 15 deg, the reflections becomes stronger and sharper. There's no trouble reading a newspaper through it, it's like a mirror.

Does a Fresnel reflection also apply to a metallic materials or are we talking about some other phenomena.
Yes, Fresnel reflections do apply to metallic surfaces, even brushed ones without any mirror reflection. And they get progressively sharper as the angle approaches zero. The rate at which it changes probably depends on the material, so maybe a reflection on brushed aluminum would get sharper only at very low angles, while a reflection on a slightly shinier surface would get sharper at higher angles. Although this may be because of a different angle dependency, and not the actual blurriness changing at a different rate.

I already notice the blurry Fresnel reflections getting sharper as the angle decreases, so that works well.

Quote:
 Should we try to approximate a default Fresnel behavior from a surface roughness and reflectivity. And use the Fresnel material/texture to override the defaults if needed.
I think that's a good idea. I'll have to do some more experiments, but my first thought is any surface that has a reflectivity greater than zero automatically has Fresnel applied to it. The actual Fresnel parameters would depend on the surface roughness value. Ultimately, they could be overridden with material definitions or a custom texture.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 AM   #4349
ATG
Orbinaut

edit: disregard see below.

Last edited by ATG; 05-20-2017 at 02:30 AM.
ATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #4350
ATG
Orbinaut
Default XR2 VC HUD

Hi,

I installed the d3d9 r2b4 on the previous page (for orbiter 2016 release version). This version causes the hud in the xr2's virtual cockpit not to render, its completely blank. If I roll back to the official d3d9 release, it renders properly again.

The r2b4 version has a new file for the xr2 not found in the release version:
config\gc\xr2ravenstar.cfg

If I delete this file the hud in the vc re-appears, although it is very faint and not as pronounced as the vc hud in the default vessels.

The cfg file contains some values for reflection/fresnel that is somehow messing with the vc hud.
ATG is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient