Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Backyard Rocketry
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Backyard Rocketry Model, Amatuer, Experimental, and High Power Rocketry. Vehicle and Motor/Engine Design, Physics and Math, Fabrication, Flights, Testing and Evaluation. Share your rocket projects here!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
twister
Orbinaut
Default Using H2O2 as a propellant

Helllo everyone! Im getting into rockets and would like to ask a serious question.

Im using h202 @ 50% concentration and creating a very small rocket. About the size of a hand. Just for research on this monoprollent. It will be pressurized through a self pressurized container but what is concerning me is the MSDS says the vapor is corrosive and could be very harmful to the lungs.

If it were to decompose with a catalyst would the vapor coming from the rocket be dangerous from a close observation? Even though it would break down into oxygen and steam?

any help is appreciated (:
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
ED_4
Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
 Helllo everyone! Im getting into rockets and would like to ask a serious question.

Im using h202 @ 50% concentration and creating a very small rocket. About the size of a hand. Just for research on this monoprollent. It will be pressurized through a self pressurized container but what is concerning me is the MSDS says the vapor is corrosive and could be very harmful to the lungs.

If it were to decompose with a catalyst would the vapor coming from the rocket be dangerous from a close observation? Even though it would break down into oxygen and steam?

any help is appreciated (:
You're better off posting this on the Backyard Rocketry forum. Where more likely the ones that deal with things like this are hanging out.
ED_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

O-F Staff Note: thread moved to Backyard Rocketry and renamed to 'Using H2O2 as a propellant'.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
n72.75
Donator

Silver is a good catalyst.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Tommy
Orbinaut

If it were to decompose using a catalyst, it can pick up impurities from the catalyst. Also, you can get some pure hydrogen released, which can be corrosive.

However, the amounts you'll be using are small, and you will (I assume) be launching outdoors - and from a safe distance incase of CATO. Shouldn't be a problem. Heck, I always seem to hold my breath during a launch anyway!
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

I would be more worried about the engine overheating and failing than the vapors. It was a challenge that Armadillo Aerospace never quite solved for their X-Prize craft.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
twister
Orbinaut

perfect thank you! I am pretty close to the testing apparatus though, so is there a way to filter the hazardous vapor? I understand that it is the oxygen free radicals that are dangerous to us. Would there be a way to filter this or make them less dangerous?
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
RocketMan_Len
Orbinaut

If you make the oxidizer 'less dangerous' it wouldn't be very effective...

When hydrogen peroxide decomposes, it breaks down into water vapour and monatomic oxygen at high temperatures. The vapours themselves aren't all that dangerous... but their associated high temperature IS. Which is why, when handling peroxide, it is recommended that protective suits and face-shields are worn.

However - at the 50% concentration you say you will be using, the danger is not all that bad... be careful and you should be fine. (Now, if you were using 95% H2O2, you would want to be taking more appropriate precautions...)
RocketMan_Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
BruceJohnJennerLawso
Iron Hill Discovery Commander

Considering this for a Rocket design of my own, and I was just wondering how you got 50% concentration H2O2. I would assume the obvious way, just heat to boil off some of the water in the solution?
BruceJohnJennerLawso is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Backyard Rocketry