Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #61
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

indeed, but its always nice to drool over some nice code
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #62
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
 indeed, but its always nice to drool over some nice code
You don't get out much, do you.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #63
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

sure i do, i just get into nerd mode rather quickly once im back in
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #64
Steve
Addon Developer

Clever Docking Ports

Ok. No I did not prevent the docking of incompatible mechanisms as I wanted as many different add-ons as possible to remain compatible with mine.

I prefer to let people make their own decissions; if it visually doesn't look right and you don't care whats the harm.

However this is relatively simple to implement if you make some assumptions. Let's assume we are talking about a PMA module. Here is one possible way to achieve this:

1. Poll the PMAs docking ports inside the clbkPostStep function and get the OBJHANDLE to the attached vessel for the docking port in question.
  2. Now check the obj instance to see if it is of type VESSEL. If not force an undock on the obj instance.
  3. If it is then get the class type string for the attached vessel and compare it against a known list of supported vessels.
  4. If the vessel class type is not known in the list then force an undock on that port.
This approach assumes you have a known list of vessels that are supported. This could be done by adding the supported vessels to your PMAs vessel configuration file. Then you could simply add addition vessels you want to support on that type of PMA model to its global configuration file. What this means is that all PMAs of that type will have the same list of supported vessels. It is also easy for all users to ammend the list to support the vessels they want.

I use something similar to this for the Airlock module in Wet Workshops. It checks to see if the airlock module has the correct number of O2/N2 tanks attached. If it does the the airlock module will allow the user to perform EVAs. If not then you cannot enter or leave the airlock module.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

ADD-ON RELEASE NOTICE

Ladies & Gentalmen,

Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops is now ready for general release.

At long last!

I am currently waiting to hear back from the site administrator of OrbitHangerMods regarding uploading the final install image as it is over the file size limit of 150MB. Distribution is always an issue. Hopefully in a couple of days Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops will be available for download. I am looking at alternative means to distributing the add-on but as yet have none. I shall keep you posted.

Thank you for all of your support and patience over the past few months. I hope you really enjoy this add-on.

Steve

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

Coming Soon

I am currently planning out the next 5 add-on packs in the series, details are in the user manual but as this won't get to you for a few days I thought it would be nice to publish the list here. I may start up another discussion about this list if people are interested in selecting which gets done first?

PROJECT-OUTPOSTS: FUEL STATIONS
This is an expansion pack for Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops which brings to you some new components to construct fuelling space stations so you can dock your space craft with a space fuelling station refuel your craft and continue with your journey. This expansion pack will contain a number of scenarios to get you going. These will come in the form of shipping routes where you need to make deep space journeys to other planets or moons to deliver greatly needed resources for the outpost colonies in our solar system.

PROJECT-OUTPOSTS: WHEELED STATIONS
This is an expansion pack for Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops which brings to you some new components and modules to build wheel style space stations like those in 2001: A Space Odyssey. These wheeled space stations will be built from more modified External Tanks (ETs) with all new interior designs. This pack expands into building artificial gravity space stations by using centrifugal force to simulate gravity aboard a space station. You will require Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops to use this add-on.

PROJECT-OUTPOSTS: ROBOTIC MANIPULATORS
This is an expansion pack for Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops which brings to you a collection of robotic arm tools for the exterior of your space stations. This will upgrade the Cupola module in Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops and bring to you new controls and functions inside the Cupola module.

PROJECT-OUTPOSTS: STATION COMMANDER
This is an expansion pack for Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops which brings to you an involved game play element to Project-Outposts. In station commander you will take control of the various station controls and procedures. You will need to monitor O2 and CO2 levels throughout your space stations, monitor and order food and water supplies, handle waste management and disposal, monitor power reserve levels and manage solar array exposure. Take control of the new motor module or tug that you will use to manage you orbital altitude with, and manoeuvre your space stations away from orbital debris alerts. This pack will also include random failure alerts for various pieces of equipment aboard your station. Take charge and go fix the equipment, sometimes you may have to perform an EVA or two to fix broken radiators or solar arrays, or maybe some science equipment has malfunctioned and only you can fix it.

PROJECT-OUTPOSTS: SPACE ELEVATOR
This is a new add-on pack for the Project-Outposts series. This brings to you the world’s first orbital space port tethered to the Earth that provides an express elevator system which can take you from ground to orbit without the need of a rocket powered launch vehicle. Is this the safest way to travel? Space Elevator also brings game play elements to your scenarios where storm damage, orbital debris damage, and other events threaten the orbital space port. How will you handle the situations and protect the Earth’s population from harm.

Last edited by Steve; 04-09-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #65
jgrillo2002
Friend of the Poleepkwas

Do you know where the download link is, since its released? sort of. Or you didn't upload it yet. I am dieing to try this out
jgrillo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #66
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrillo2002 View Post
 Do you know where the download link is, since its released? sort of. Or you didn't upload it yet. I am dieing to try this out
As he just said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
 I am currently waiting to hear back from the site administrator of OrbitHangerMods regarding uploading the final install image as it is over the file size limit of 150MB. Distribution is always an issue. Hopefully in a couple of days Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops will be available for download. I am looking at alternative means to distributing the add-on but as yet have none. I shall keep you posted.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #67
jgrillo2002
Friend of the Poleepkwas

Heh. I didnt see that. Thanks for the heads up.
jgrillo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #68
Steve
Addon Developer

Default Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops Ready for Release!

It has been posted and is waiting for approval from the administrator of Orbit Hangar Mods. It should be available for download within 24 hours of this posting.

Look under Spacecraft : Space Stations, add-on name is Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops.

I hope you like it.

Regards,

Steve
Thanked by:
Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #69
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

i cant find it, can you post a link?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #70
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

It's not up yet. First-time submitters to Orbit Hangar have to undergo a security check, usually the add-on goes live somewhen during the first 24 hours. Once it goes up, you'll see it posted in the Orbit Hangar section here on the forum.

Patience, young Padawan!

Quote:
Now check the obj instance to see if it is of type VESSEL. If not force an undock on the obj instance.
This would be a pretty redundant step, as only objects of the VESSEL-class can have a docking port
Anyways, your method would prevent incompatible ships from using the docking port, but it wouldn't prevent the autodock from occuring. Your docking port would just spit the vessel back out, so to speak, which would be a bit of an annoying occurence in itself.

Last edited by jedidia; 04-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #71
Steve
Addon Developer

Its now up on Orbit Hangar Mods:

Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops

Under Spacecraft\SpaceStations

Have fun!

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 It's not up yet. First-time submitters to Orbit Hangar have to undergo a security check, usually the add-on goes live somewhen during the first 24 hours. Once it goes up, you'll see it posted in the Orbit Hangar section here on the forum.

Patience, young Padawan!

This would be a pretty redundant step, as only objects of the VESSEL-class can have a docking port
Anyways, your method would prevent incompatible ships from using the docking port, but it wouldn't prevent the autodock from occuring. Your docking port would just spit the vessel back out, so to speak, which would be a bit of an annoying occurence in itself.

You are quite right with what you say. The ship would dock and then be pushed away again. That's why I have not bothered to exclude and vessel from docking to any port. I leave it in your hands to make that choice.

It is also ture that only VESSEL class objects have docking ports, but I am a senior software engineer and a stickler for checking everything and safe code. With the sort of safety critical systems I design there is no room for risk. Please ignore this step, it is not required.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #72
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
but I am a senior software engineer and a stickler for checking everything and safe code. With the sort of safety critical systems I design there is no room for risk.
Oh well, that's understandable then. As a a pure hobbyist programmer I have quite another attitude... "If the user insists on passing a string from this config file instead of an integer, he'll get a crash, I don't care. I told him not to."
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #73
Steve
Addon Developer

Default PATCH 1 Available

I have just uploaded the first patch for Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops. This fixes an issue raised today where the Atlantis space shuttle could not shut down its engines when flying it manually.

This is now fixed. PLease download the patch and apply it to your copy of Wet Workshops.

Project-Outposts: Wet Workshops - PATCH 1

Kind regards,
Steve
Thanked by:
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #74
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

hey steve, got a couple of questions, and forgive me if i ask anything painfully obvious, because i havent had chance to check this out much yet, due to working 7 days a week, 8 hours a day

first, how does your station manage itself as a single entity? is there any code to handle the modules collectivley as a single station? i only ask because it would make any future resource management (fuel, waste, O2 etc) easier, and so would general station management, like rotation control and engines*

secondly, is there any resource management planned for the project? i imagine that fuelling stations would be, however you may have imagined it differently, where a ship would dock to a fuel module, which handled fuelling on a vessel-vessel basis, rather than station-vessel basis

thirdly, would the following be extended to UMMU support for crew? if you can get the modules to talk to one another "through the docking connections", it shouldnt be too much of an ask to get UMMU support working similarly

now, ive had some ideas on some aspects, ill leave it here as a suggestion, its up to you how you take it:

ENGINES
a station isnt much good without attitude control, and in the real world, wouldnt last too long without the ability to raise its orbit periodically, so it makes sense to build in some engines, nothing spectacular, but just something to keep the decay away
so, how about mounting some engines on the station, then allowing them to be controlled from any module through a control panel, where you set a burn time or burn dV, then the command is sent to the engines/engine module to burn for a set time.

obviously challengine, but as you probably worked out by now, the hardest part is probably just getting the modules to work together, once thats done, its nice and relativley simple.

RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
again, this only really depends on the module's communication. then you just move resources about, possibly assigning a module as the master module that would hold the resources, but have them available to each module (say, take the module with the first name alphabetically as the "master module"), this would allow you to add fuel to the station, as well as any other resources that you would send to a station (i doubt stations would need oxygen sent to them, since they have systems to re-process the air to produce oxygen from pollutants, but supplying N2, food or equipment may be an option)

hope you like my ideas, and good luck with the rest of the project!

PS sorry if parts of this seem a little weird, i just hot hit in the face at work when i dropped a shelf, i might have some minor concussion :S

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development