Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

MFD Questions & Help Post your questions here for help with the Multi-Function Displays.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Rach
Orbinaut

AerobrakeMFD give an incorrect position of yor vessel in the mars surface. (orbiter 2010). You can compare with the position coordenades of the SurfaceMFD. If you use aerobrakeMFD to reentry and land in olympus base you will go to another site. (in orbiter 2006 the position is correct)

No problem in earth!

Anybody can confirm this problem with mars?
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

i think it may be crashing due to some "division by zero" error... i assume it wasn't made for landing without atmoosphere...

i use BaseSync for that... works just fine in 2010 too
Moach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
zeldafan156
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post
 AerobrakeMFD give an incorrect position of yor vessel in the mars surface. (orbiter 2010). You can compare with the position coordenades of the SurfaceMFD. If you use aerobrakeMFD to reentry and land in olympus base you will go to another site. (in orbiter 2006 the position is correct)

No problem in earth!

Anybody can confirm this problem with mars?
ya i just did this five seconds ago. it doesnt give an incorrect position for me, it just lands me somewhere els...
zeldafan156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
Rach
Orbinaut

The position in MARS is not correct for me.
Orbiter 2010 fresh install (only areobrakeMFD). Load the scenery "Checklists/Mission 1 - DG to ISS". Press F3 and select Gl-02 vessel that is land in olympus base in Mars. Open aerobrakeMFD, select target "olympus" and voila! Yo can read in the target dist 137.98 k (137 KM!!!). And the readout of the land position is diferent of your real position (your real position is 135.43W and 12.73N but aerobrakeMFD shows 133.03W 12.73N). Its obvious that is a problem with the longitude.

When I reentry with precision following aerobrake indications my landing site is exactly 137 Km out of Olympus base (its a long distance to go in feet)!

PD: in orbiter 2006 all the coordenades are corrects! (ONLY in 2010 and ONLY in mars, for now)
PD: sorry for my english... spanish man
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post
 The position in MARS is not correct for me.
Orbiter 2010 fresh install (only areobrakeMFD). Load the scenery "Checklists/Mission 1 - DG to ISS". Press F3 and select Gl-02 vessel that is land in olympus base in Mars. Open aerobrakeMFD, select target "olympus" and voila! Yo can read in the target dist 137.98 k (137 KM!!!). And the readout of the land position is diferent of your real position (your real position is 135.43W and 12.73N but aerobrakeMFD shows 133.03W 12.73N). Its obvious that is a problem with the longitude.

When I reentry with precision following aerobrake indications my landing site is exactly 137 Km out of Olympus base (its a long distance to go in feet)!

PD: in orbiter 2006 all the coordenades are corrects! (ONLY in 2010 and ONLY in mars, for now)
PD: sorry for my english... spanish man
Interesting...does the longitude appear correctly in other MFDs, like Surface and Map?

What about the Scenario Editor?
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #21
Rach
Orbinaut

Yes, the longitude is correct in MapMfd, SurfaceMFD and in the scneditor. And AeorbreakMFD read correctly the position of the olympus base but not YOUR position.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #22
James.Denholm
Addon ponderer

I'd be interested to see what the co-ordinates of the vessel is, relative to Earth. Perhaps this may be the source of the error.

Out of curiosity, does this bug manifest on other atmospheric bodies, such as Venus? I'd test it myself, but I haven't downloaded 2010 yet (bad interwebs and what-not).
James.Denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #23
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Has anyone tried it with the 2006 atmosphere model?
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #24
Hasso
Orbinaut

It seems to be that the margin of error is exactly 2.391 to the east wherever you are on mars. BasesyncMFD v2.1 shows the same mismatch.

Readings from Surface- und Map-MFD are right accordingly to ScenarioEditor.
Just tested that by defining Bases at Lat/Lon 0/0 on several bodys.

Mismatch on Venus is between 107e-6 and 108e-6 east, and mismatch on earth switches between 76e-6 and 200e-6

Unfortunately it's impossible to test aerobrake in a landed vessel on airless bodys since Orbiter2010 because of CTD when opening the MFD.
Hasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #25
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasso View Post
 It seems to be that the margin of error is exactly 2.391 to the east wherever you are on mars. BasesyncMFD v2.1 shows the same mismatch.
Yes, there is an API compatibility problem that is causing the offset in longitude. The problem will apply atleast BaseSyncMFD and IMFD. The problem can be fixed by code modifications and that's probably the best course of action. Every program that is using oapiGetPlanetTheta() to compute a planet orientation may suffer about this problem. Programs should rely on oapiGetPlanetObliquityMatrix() instead.

Last edited by jarmonik; 06-16-2010 at 05:17 PM.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #26
Hasso
Orbinaut

@jarmonik

Thank you very much for that clear statement.
That explains why the reentrypath in my mars-test-expedition goes a little more to the west as expected.

Anybody here, who can confirm that there is a little mismatch on moon (little more than 4km at equator) caused of same reason?
That there isn't a mismatch (or at least minimal) on earth?

Is it a "result" of the new "feature" discussed here http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8185 ?

Edit:
And, important for me, is the mismatch constant of body or will it vary by time?

Last edited by Hasso; 06-16-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
jarmonik
Beta Tester

I have released a new versions of BaseSyncMFD and IMFD. New versions should no longer suffer from the longitude offset issue. I haven't had time to test them, so, I would be happy if some one could test and confirm if they work properly.

Quote:
 Anybody here, who can confirm that there is a little mismatch on moon (little more than 4km at equator) caused of same reason?
Yes.
Quote:
 That there isn't a mismatch (or at least minimal) on earth?
The Earth is also effected. I don't know which precession parameter will effect in the magnitude of the error and it's not important at a moment.

Quote:
 Is it a "result" of the new "feature" discussed here http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8185 ?
No, not really. Planet axis precession support didn't cause it. It's not a side product. I suppose this could be more like an implementation error in addons rather than in the Orbiter itself.

Quote:
 And, important for me, is the mismatch constant of body or will it vary by time?
Yes, it will change in time with different rate in a different planets. It could be something like 0.0001 deg / year

Last edited by jarmonik; 06-16-2010 at 08:53 PM.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #28
ar81
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moach View Post
 i think it may be crashing due to some "division by zero" error... i assume it wasn't made for landing without atmoosphere...

i use BaseSync for that... works just fine in 2010 too
Or you may edit moon to add a 1 meter high atmosphere...
ar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #29
Hasso
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 I have released a new versions of BaseSyncMFD and IMFD. New versions should no longer suffer from the longitude offset issue. I haven't had time to test them, so, I would be happy if some one could test and confirm if they work properly.

Thank You very much again for that quick response
And there is a solution too!

Here we go:

The new IMFD54 in ORBITER2010 at mars

1. Undocked and Burn-Setup
2. Upcoming Olympus
3. Damned! That's what i call precision!
Attached Thumbnails
10.06.16 23-13-57 GL-01.jpg   10.06.16 23-24-04 GL-01.jpg   10.06.16 23-24-21 GL-01.jpg  

Last edited by Hasso; 06-16-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: searching a way to provide the pics in full res

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help

Tags
2010, aerobrake, mfd, orbiter